For Someone Who Won't Read This
JULY 9 2026
I don’t know what stays with me more: your birthday tomorrow or the fact that we share the same birth month. Maybe it’s because I once promised we’d do something together before your birthday.
I badly wanted to greet you today for your birthday. I should’ve known it wouldn’t be easy. There’s a big chance you wouldn’t even care anymore, and maybe that’s just how things are now.
But after everything, what I hate the most is that I can’t stay mad or pretend to be oblivious. Even if it was only for a short period of time, I loved you. You lived in my heart, and for a while, you became part of my life.
Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so kind, especially to the people who have hurt me. I’ve been trying to master the art of ignoring people and not giving 100% of myself to those who once ignored or broke me. But I don’t know… maybe that’s just not who I am. No matter how hard I try, I can’t seem to become that person.
I still remember when you told me that your birthday was just another ordinary day. You’d still be working until sunrise, and the only person who would surprise you was your brother standing outside your door for almost an hour with roasted chicken, waiting for you to notice him.
I’m sure things are different now. Maybe you’re spending your birthday with someone else. I don’t want to know. Yes, because I know it would still hurt me. But at the same time, it’s no longer my business. I want to respect your privacy.
That’s why I decided to write this letter and leave it here on my blog. It’s a reminder to myself that forgetting someone who became part of you isn’t easy, even if they were only in your life for a short time. It’s never about how long two people were together. It’s about what they shared, how they accepted each other’s flaws and mistakes, and how they made each other feel seen despite all their imperfections.
As I write this, I’m taking another trip down memory lane. My eidetic memory is at it again.
I can still see myself walking outside your condominium near the river in the afternoon. People were busy living their own lives, some exercising, some waiting for friends to play basketball, some pushing strollers while giving their babies fresh air. Then there was me. I’d stop walking, sit on the gutter, and quietly reflect on my life whenever we’d have an argument.
I don’t have to do that anymore.
I’m not in that place anymore either.
But I’ll be honest, that place became more than just a memory. It became my safe place.
That’s why I can’t help but ask myself:
Why did I get a taste of absolute peace in a place, only for it to be tied to a person I couldn’t keep?
Do you know how cruel that feels?
For the first time in a long while, I finally let my guard down with you. That’s where I found peace.
But over time, I came to realize something.
I didn’t lose that peace. I only lost the temporary place, and the temporary person where I first discovered it.
The universe didn’t let me experience that just to take it away or to mock me. It allowed me to experience it so I would know what’s possible for my life. So I would know the kind of peace, love, and connection I should continue building toward with the people who are truly meant to stay.
You left me with so many lessons that I’m still embracing today. Little by little, those lessons have become part of the blueprint I’m using to move forward and build the life I want for myself.
And since tomorrow is your special day, I truly hope someone is there to make it extra special for you.
You deserve all the love, care, affection, and kindness in the world, especially because that’s what you’ve always given to the people who matter to you.
I hope you’re happier now.
Not because of the medication that helps you get through the day, but because you’re genuinely, truthfully happy with the life you’re living.
Keep fighting your battles.
Keep protecting your peace.
Keep your head held high.
Keep being unapologetically unique.
Even if you never know it, I’ll always be quietly rooting for you from a distance.
Thank you for everything.
And happy birthday.
Comments
Post a Comment